Brinjal F1 Hybrid Green Long - Seeds
( 192 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
Different varieties are available everywhere and each variety is unique in its own way, with a distinctive flavor and many essential minerals.
Eggplant or Brinjal, is a very low calorie vegetable and has healthy nutrition profile; good news for weight watchers! The veggie is popularly known as aubergine in the western world.
Common name: Brinjal, Eggplant
Height: 1 to 3 feet
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Start plants indoors 2 months before the soil warms up or buy nursery transplants just before planting. Place 3 to 4 inch tall seedlings 24 to 30 inches apart in well-prepared beds. Pinch out the terminal growing points for a bushier plant.
Sunlight: Full sun
Soil: Sandy, Soil pH: Slightly Acidic to Neutral
Water: When it comes to watering eggplants in container gardens, keep the potting soil constantly moist but not soggy
Temprature: 15 to 38°F
Fertilizer: Eggplant is a heavy feeder, so when first planting in a plant container, give it a good dose of fertilizer, and add lime to the soil because eggplant needs a lot of calcium. Then add fertilizer about once a month while the plant is actively growing.
Harvesting: Harvest the fruit as soon as it reaches a diameter of 7 to 10 cm (about 3 months after transplanting). In the case of good irrigation and fertilisation practices, 10 to 12 of them can be harvested from each plant. Brinjal plants are delicate and care should be taken not to damage the plants during harvesting (the stems are quite brittle). Cut the fruit with pruning scissors. Handle with care to prevent bruising. Keep in mind that the shelf life of the fruit is not very long.
- Care should be taken not to plant the brinjals in a shady portion of the garden.
- The plants ought to have sufficient sunlight.
- From time to time, any weeds which might grow in the plants bed must be removed.
- The plants should be sprayed with the pesticides or insecticides if any disease is noticed.
- Stake plants over 24 inches tall.
- Water well and apply a balanced fertilizer every two weeks during the growing season.
- For bigger fruits, restrict to five or six per plant.
- The brinjal or eggplant has a lot of vitamins and nutrients.
- It contains vitamins like B1 and B6.
- It also contains a good amount of potassium, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, and folic acid.
- This high nutritive value of the brinjal makes it one of the most important vegetables.
- Helps keeping diabetes in control: The eggplants are a very rich source of fibre and low soluble carbohydrates.
- Thus they are highly beneficial for regulation of blood sugar levels and also to control the absorption of glucose.
- This makes them the best option for people suffering from type 2 diabetes.
- Helpful to the heart: The cholesterol levels are brought down to a great extent by the eggplant.
- It also helps stabilize the level of blood pressure.
- All this in turn lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- The body is also kept well hydrated thanks to the potassium content present in this vegetable.
- This ensures that there is no retention of fluids which prevents coronary heart diseases.
- Helpful to the brain: Eggplant contains Phytonutrients which keep the cell membranes protected from any kind of damage and facilitates the message transfer from one part to another, thus preserving the memory function.
- Helps create iron in the human body: We all require iron for proper functioning in our day to day life.
- However, too much of iron in the body is not a good sign.
- The content of nasunin that is present in eggplant helps remove excess iron from the body.
- This brings down the risk of getting heart attacks as it damages the existence of the free radicals in one’s system.
- Facilitates weight loss: Eggplant is considered to be high in water content yet low in calorie count.
- This feature makes it very ideal as a healthy diet for people who want to reduce weight.
- The spongy texture of the vegetable is what facilitates these characteristics, hence one must consume in its natural form as much as possible.
- Helps in digestion: The digestive system is kept healthy and safe because of the good content of fibre in brinjals.
- This prevents constipation as well.
- The risk of colon cancer is also eliminated.
- Healthy skin and hair: The skin is well hydrated owing to the high water content an eggplant has.
- It is also good for the hair.
- Keeps chronic diseases at bay: Eggplant reduces the chance of cardiovascular diseases and strokes.
- Helps quit smoking: Eggplant has small amount of nicotine which helps those who want to gradually quit smoking.
- Anti bacterial properties: The eggplant has good amounts of vitamin C which make it an effective anti-viral and anti- bacterial source.
- Preparing brinjals
• Slice the brinjals, peeled or unpeeled as specified in the recipe.
• Sprinkle the slices with salt and put them into a colander.
- This will remove any bitterness and extract some of the water.
• Rinse and dry the slices before using.
• Brinjals may also be cooked in the skin.
- Prick the skin before boiling or roasting it in the oven.
For medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor / physician before use.
http://www.balconycontainergardening.com/plants/361-grow-care-eggplant http://www.daff.gov.za/docs/Infopaks/brinjal.htm http://www.almanac.com/plant/eggplant
You may also need below items for gardening
Recommended Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.