Breadfruit, Artocarpus Altilis, Bakri Chajhar - Plant
Common name: Breadfruit tree.
Height: 85 feet.
Difficulty level: Easy.
Planting & Care
Amend soil with organic material prior to planting and dig a hole wide enough to accommodate the root ball of the young plant.
Sunlight: Full sun, part shade is acceptable when trees are young.
Soil: Deep, fertile, well-drained soils, some varieties are adapted to the shallow sandy soils of coral atolls are also good.
Water: During their establishment period, which is generally six months to a year, breadfruit trees require regular and thorough watering. Keep the soil moist thereafter.
Temprature: It flourishes at 21-32° C and does not yield well where the temperature exceeds 40° or drops to 5° C.
Fertilizer: Water-soluble fertilizer (20-20-20): Twice per week at 200ppm.
- Mulching with the large fallen leaves and other organic materials is beneficial and provides nutrients, protects roots, and helps keep the soil moist during dry periods.
- The tree can readily be pruned and shaped to keep it low and make harvesting easier.
- The fruit can be cooked and eaten at all stages of growth; from small and immature, to starchy mature; to ripe when it is soft and sweet.
- The fresh fruit can baked, boiled, roasted, or steamed.
- There are numerous ways to prepare delicious dishes based on breadfruit.
- Breadfruit is high in energy from carbohydrates and low in fat.
- It is a good source of fibre, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, thiamine, and niacin.
- The trees support sustainable agriculture, improve soil conditions and watersheds, and provide food security.
- Breadfruit trees also give shelter
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.