Galphimia Glauca - Plant
Common name: golden shower tree
Bloom time: April to September
Height: 30.00 to 50.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
A magnificent spring-flowering street or park tree for tropical regions, the golden shower tree (Cassia fistula) slowly matures up to 60 feet tall and 60 to 75 feet wide with a rounded silhouette.
Native to the Indian subcontinent, it naturally grows in fertile, well-drained soils in a climate that is warm but very dry in winter but then inundated with rains in spring to trigger the flowering. It s named a "shower" tree because its tiny yellow flowers occur in a long pendant cluster, called a raceme, measuring 6 to 30 inches long.
Sunlight: Full sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Plant the golden shower tree where it grows and flowers its best: Choose any fertile soil landscape that basks in at least 10 hours of direct sunlight daily.
- Avoid any spot where the soil remains soggy after rain.
- Once established with far-reaching roots, the golden shower tree tolerates considerable drought without ill, according to Margaret Barwick, author of "Tropical and Subtropical Trees.
Ornamental. Shade tree. Formerly planted in some populated areas as a street tree, but this use has waned as planners have shifted to using Cassia x nealiae for this purpose because this hybrid does not drop as many leaves at flowering time and does not produce any seed pods.
- Galphimia is also generally used as a homeopathic reatment for asthma and allergies.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.