Mucuna Pruriens, Velvet Bean - 0.5 Kg Seeds
Common name: Velvet bean, Cowitch, Cowhage, Kapikachu, Nescafe, Sea bean
Color: black or brown
Bloom time: summer
Height: 12-15 ft.
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Place 2 or 3 seeds in 7cm (3”) pots of seed compost, giving enough water to make the mixture barely moist. Cover the pot with clear plastic wrap. Place the pots in bright light at a temperature of 18 to 21°C (65 to 70°F). Water enough to keep soil from drying out completely.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Potting soil used for palm plants should be well draining, and any container used for the plant should have ample drainage holes in the bottom.
- Soil should be moist at all times during the growing season, although it is essential to avoid over-saturation, which can lead to root rot.
- Seeds may also be placed in hot water and soaked overnight.
- Place seeds in a moist soil medium, cover with a light sprinkle of soil and place in a warm, bright location.
- Seeds generally take about a week to germinate, according to Guide to Houseplants.
The longitudinally ribbed pod, is densely covered with loose orange hairs which cause a severe itch if they come in contact with skin. The beans are shiny black or brown. It is found in tropical Africa, India and the Caribbean.
- Unverified information Velvet bean can be beneficial, since it is high in levodopa which helps maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- The seed powder of Mucuna pruriens has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine for diseases including parkinsonism, and has proven in medical tests to have equal or superior effectiveness in the treatment of parkinsons disease over conventional, synthetic levodopa medications.
- br> Another benefit of Mucuna is that it can increase the production of human growth hormone, and extracts are commonly sold as body-building supplements.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items for gardening
Recommended Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.