Velvet Bean - Plant
( 0 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
-High Quality 8 inch Plastic Pot with each plant.
-Offer Valid on orders with 3 or more Plants
Moreover, the seed is not highly valued for human or animal feeding, because of the prolonged soaking and, or, boiling required before it can be consumed safely. The leaves and vines make an excellent fodder.
Common name: Mucuna
Height: 15-30 feet.
Planting & Care
The Velvet Bean produces little seed unless they are grown with an upright crop like corn so the vines can climb and bear their flowers where there is air circulation. This also avoids pod decay. Velvet Beans yield about 1,000 pounds of beans per acre.
Soil: A wide range of soil types are suitable, including heavy clays, provided that they are well drained, since velvet beans cannot stand waterlogging with a pH of between 5-6.5.
Water: Velvet beans are often grown in the tropics and subtropics in areas with an average rainfall of between 1200-1500 mm/yr., or more.
Temprature: A warm equable temperature of 20-30Â°C throughout the growing period is preferred.
Fertilizer: Fertilize the corn and the Velvet Beans will do just fine.
- The possibility of utilizing velvet beans as a commercial source of L-dopa (which is relatively expensive to produce synthetically), used in the treatment of Parkinsons disease.
- Velvet beans can be used as a human foodstuff but require considerable care in their preparation, because of the toxic principle they contain.
- In many parts of Africa and Asia they are regarded as a famine food.
- The toxic principle can be removed by boiling and soaking the seeds in several changes of water.
- In parts of Asia, the seeds are sometimes roasted before being eaten.
- The immature pods and leaves are occasionally boiled and eaten as a vegetable.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.