Solanum xanthocarpum - Plant
Common name: Solanum surattense, Solanum xanthocarpum
Color: White, yellow, lilac and purple
Bloom time: July to frost
Height: 3.00 to 4.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
It is a regarded as a weed, commonly growing in barnyards, pastures and beside roads. Opening the seed pods and planting the seeds is similar for all species. Depending on the species, Datura can be grown as an annual in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 through 7 and as a perennial in zones 8 through 10.
Sunlight: Full sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 70° F
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Watch for the datura seed pods to turn brown on the plant.
- They will open, revealing ripe seeds.
- Although the description of the pods varies slightly among the species, they all have spikes or thorns and turn from green to brown as they mature.
- Collect the seeds.
Scrape or nick the seeds with a knife.
- This is called scarification.
- It helps germination by penetrating the protective outer layer of seeds.
Borders, containers. Specimen or group. Place containers near patios so flower fragrance may be enjoyed.
- Dhattura – Datura metel – Medicinal Uses, Toxic Effects.
- Dhatura – thorn apple is a poisonous herb used in many Ayurvedic medicines after purification method.
- Datura metel is used in the treatment of skin diseases, fever etc.
- It is used for external application and rarely for oral administration.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.