Herb-of-grace, Ruta Graveolens, Satap - Plant
Common name: Peganum dauricum
Color: white yellow
Bloom time: Late summer.
Height: 18-24 in. (45-60 cm)
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Harmal is a perennial plant which can grow to about 2.5 ft tall, but normally it is about 1 ft tall. The roots of the plant can reach a depth of up to 6.1 m, if the soil it is growing in is very dry.
Leaves are stalkless, 4-8 cm long, irregularly and pinnately cut into 3-5 cm long, 2-5 mm broad, linear-lanceshaped or subelliptic, pointed segments. The flowers are yellowish-white and are about 2.5–3.8 cm in diameter. Petals are obovate-oblong, 1.5-2 cm long, 6-9 mm wide.
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: -29° to -23°C / -20° to -10°F.
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- It is also used to dye wool.
- When the seeds are extracted with water, a yellow fluorescent dye is obtained.
- If they are extracted with alcohol, a red dye is obtained.
- The stems, roots and seeds can be used to make inks, stains and tattoos.
- Harmal is found in the Himalayas,
- Medicinal uses: Warning: Unverified information Harmal is used as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent.
- In Yemen it was used to treat depression, and it has been established in the laboratory that harmaline, an active ingredient in Peganum harmala, is a central nervous system stimulant and a "reversible inhibitor of MAO-A (RIMA)," a category of antidepressant.
- Ruta graveolens, commonly known as rue, common rue or herb-of-grace, is a species of Ruta grown as an ornamental plant and as an herb.
- It is native to the Balkan Peninsula.
- It is now grown throughout the world in gardens, especially for its bluish leaves, and sometimes for its tolerance of hot and dry soil conditions.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.