Bogbean - Plant
Common name: Menyanthes trifoliata
Bloom time: May to June
Height: 0.75 to 1.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow easy to grow easy to grow
Planting & Care
Members of the Menyanthes genus are hardy Perennials.They naturally grow in boggy and watery areas and have green leaves and white star shaped flowers.They flower from spring through to summer.Common names for Menyanthes include Bog bean and Buck bean.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer Apply any organic fertilizer ly any organic fertilizer
- Full Sunlight.
- Grows in very moist soil, bogs, and shallow water.
- Peaty soil.
- Cool area.
- Regular watering to maintain heavy moisture, best grown in a container at the edge of a pond.
- Once established do not disturb unless they become overcrowded.
Transitional plant for water gardens and ponds. Bog gardens.
- Bogbean is a plant.
- The bogbean fruit resembles a small bean and is commonly found in swamps or bogs, which is the reason for its name.
- People use the bogbean leaf to make medicine.
- Bogbean is used for achy joints (rheumatism), rheumatoid arthritis, loss of appetite, and upset stomach.
- Bogbean contains the bitter glucosides, menyanthin (found in the leaves) and loganin (found in the roots).
- It also contains a small amount of volatile oil and the flavonglycosides, hyperoside and rutin.
- This strongly bitter herb has been utilised for a long time as a folk medicine.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor / physian befor use.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/ http://www.gardenershq.com/ http://www.herbal-supplement-resource.com
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.