Anethum Sowa - Plant
( 0 times booked in last 90 days )
-High Quality 8 inch Plastic Pot with each plant.
-Offer Valid on orders with 3 or more Plants
Common name: Dill, Dil, Dill plant, Indian Dill
Bloom time: August to September
Height: 3.00 to 5.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Anethum Sowa is called Sowa in India. It is also called Dill in a few regions of the world. The biennial herb has a smooth surface with fine dissected leaves. It has small yellow flowers and has elliptical fruits. The plant has a single stalk that grows up to the height of almost 1 meter.
This plant was identified for use by the ancient Romans and Greeks. The Greek community used it to cover their head to induce sleep and relieve insomnia. In the middle ages this herb was also considered as a charm to ward off bad omen.
Sunlight: Full sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 10-20 C
- Dill is an annual that is best grown in rich, light, well-drained soils in full sun.
- Plants are more apt to fall over in part shade.
- Shelter plants from strong winds.
- Close-planting, stakes or cages may be used to provide support.
- Best growth occurs in cool summer climates.
- Plants appreciate consistent soil moisture.
- Soils should not be allowed to dry out.
- Plants tend to bolt when conditions remain dry.
Sow seed directly in the ground just before the last spring frost date.
- Seedlings can be difficult to transplant, so seeds are usually not started indoors.
- Additional seeds may be planted every two weeks until early summer for purposes of extending the time when fresh leaves may be harvested.
A research conducted on the Anethum Sowa showed that it contains mineral, acid insoluble ash and moisture. The seeds of the Anethum Sowa are used to obtain an essential oil commonly known as Dill oil. The roots also contain an essential oil which has high contents of a-b pinene. This herb has a considerably high proportion of terpene.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.