Cloves - Plant
Clove tree trunk has smooth bark with grayish yellow aromatic foliage. It is a slow growing but a long-lived tree and can exceed 100 years of age easily.
Common name: Ribes odoratum
Bloom time: April
Height: 6.00 to 12.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
The seeds can be directly planted, or soaked in water overnight to remove the outer lining. HARVESTING: Cloves are harvested when the flowers turn from green to purple. The ripened flower buds are collected and sun dried in tropical regions.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 70 – 85 F (20 – 30 C).
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Northern gardeners should mulch heavily with straw for overwintering.
- Mulch should be removed in the spring after the threat of frost has passed.
- (Young shoots can’t survive in temps below 20°F on their own.
- Keep them under cover Cut off any flower shoots that emerge in spring.
- These may decrease bulb size.
Although this shrub can appear somewhat unkempt as it ages, the aromatic flowers, edible fruits and summer foliage provide good ornamental value and tasty fruit. Group in shrub borders, open woodland areas or near patios. Informal hedge or screen.
- The active principles in the clove are known to have antioxidant, anti-septic, local anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, rubefacient (warming and soothing), carminative and anti-flatulent properties.
- The spice contains health benefiting essential oils such as eugenol.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.