Catnip, Catmint, Nepta - Plant
Common name: Nepeta cataria
Color: White with pale purple spotting
Bloom time: May to September
Height: 2.00 to 3.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Catmint herb is easy to grow. These plants are good for mass planting or edging and are suitable near vegetables as an insect deterrent—especially aphids and Japanese beetles.Catmint can be grown in sun or partial shade with average, well-draining soil. They are even heat and drought tolerant, making them excellent plants for dry garden areas. Catmint is most often grown by seed or through division.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Water: Dry to medium
Temprature: 60 to 70°F
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Basic care of catmint is easy.
- Water catmint plants regularly until they become well established.
- Mulch will help retain moisture and keep down weeds.
- Once plants are a few inches tall, pinch them back to promote bushier growth.
- Catmint blooms throughout summer and fall.
- Deadheading spent blooms promotes additional flowering.
It can also help prevent reseeding.
- Faassen’s catmint (Nepeta x faassenii) is sterile however, and doesn’t require deadheading.
- Shear the plants back to half their size in fall or following harvest.
Borders, path edging, cottage gardens or herb gardens. Good for dry areas. Containers. Grow as an ornamental, for herbal use and/or for your cat.
- Unverified information Due to the fact that catnip promotes sweating when used as an herbal tea, it was used for the treatment of nervousness, colds, influenza, and fevers during the Middle Ages.
- Catnip has also been alleged to aid with flatulence, diarrhea, colic, and other childhood diseases, as well as preventing miscarriages, premature births, and morning sickness.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/mint/catmint-plant.htm http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=e433 http://www.flowersofindia.net/risearch/search.php?query=Catnip%2C+Catmint%2C&stpos=0&stype=AND
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.