Papaya Selection I - Seeds
( 184 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
Papaya tree bears many spherical or pear-shaped fruits that can have about 6-20 inches in length and 4-12 inches in diameter. The average-sized papaya weighs about a pound. The fruit is said to ripen when it feels soft to thumb pressure, and its skin has attained an amber to orange hue.
Common name: papaya, pawpaw, tree melon,
Height: Height: 6-8 feet
Spread: 2-3 feet
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Sunlight: Grow best in full sun. Papayas love the heat and sunlight.
Soil: Papayas do best in rich soil that is high in organic matter. Make sure your planting location and soil has good drainage to avoid root rot.
Water: Water the papaya plants around the root zone as needed. Papayas need plenty of water to grow tasty fruit, but the plants do not tolerate wet feet. To avoid overwatering the papaya, water deeply only when the top 1 inch of soil dries.
Fertilizer: Apply a complete fertilizer every two months after planting, using a formula that contains nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, such as 10-10-10.
- Sow about 12 seeds spaced evenly in a 12-inch circle at the center of the container.
- Cover the seeds with 1/2 inch of soil.
- Water the seeds at planting, and fertilize with a complete fertilizer, such as 10-10-10, added to the water supply.
- Germination should occur within two weeks.
- Multiple seeds are needed in each planting circle to ensure that some of the resulting trees are female or hermaphroditic.
- Female plants bear fruit, but at least one male plant is needed for cross-pollination.
- Hermaphroditic trees have both male and female reproductive organs.
- The seeds might produce plants with female flowers or hermaphroditic flowers, so multiple plants are needed for you to determine their genders when they flower.
Harvesting: You can pick the fruit when the skin starts to become yellow. The fruit will ripen after you have picked it. Handle it carefully because it gets bruised easily.
- In addition to proper papaya growing conditions, suitable care of papaya fruit trees is also important.
- In order for papaya trees to thrive, they require some fertilizer.
- Provide young plants fertilizer every 14 days using ¼ pound of complete fertilizer.
- Fertilize older trees with 1 to 2 pounds of fertilizer once a month.
- Also, be sure to take a soil sample and amend as necessary.
- Water trees frequently for best fruit production.
- Mulch trees with 4 inches of wood chips to help retain moisture, taking care to keep the mulch 8 to 12 inches from the trunk.
- Protect developing fruit from pests by placing a paper bag over them until they are ripe.
- Papaya is a very popular tropical fruit that is used widely in cooking.
- The pink or golden flesh of papaya is used as a main component in various salads and desserts.
Green papaya is a good meat tenderizer hence it is grated and used in marinade as a tenderizer.
- It is also a familiar ingredient in numerous stews and soup dishes.
Papaya is a widely eaten fruit in breakfast and many papaya dishes are served as side dishes such as chili papaya with venison and papaya with pineapple salsa.
- Due to its long pear shape, papaya is a good fruit to be stuffed.
Papaya is pureed to make chutneys and sauces.
- Baked papaya recipes are also very popular in various cuisines.
- Papaya seeds are usually scooped out and discarded but they have a spicy flavor and can be dried and used as a peppery seasoning.
You may also need below items for gardening
Recommended Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.