Bauhinia Purpurea, Purple Orchid Tree - 0.5 Kg Seeds
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 9b-11. Best in full sun. Tolerates light shade. Best with moderate but consistent moisture. Grows well in a variety of soils as long as well-drained. Thrives in heat but leaves may brown along the edges in dry heat or droughty conditions.
Common name: Hong Kong Orchid-Tree, Red-flowered bauhinia
Color: Rose-purple to rose-crimson
Bloom time: November to April
Height: 12.00 to 20.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Bauhinia seeds are usually flat, hard and roundish to oblong. If you have access to fresh seedpods, harvest them when the pod turns brown and becomes almost brittle. Most bauhinia seed pods will open themselves when ripe, tossing the seeds to the ground.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- There you must quickly look for them, before they begin to germinate on their own.
- White bauhinia and Purple Orchid tree both toss the seeds, the pod itself curling around when it snaps open.
- Soil for bauhinia can vary.
- Where I live, it is very sandy, with little organic material found naturally in the soil.
- When I plant out a sapling I have grown or purchased, I dig a very wide hole; about two and a half feet across by two and a half to 3 feet deep.
- I dump in a premade mixture of one third peat, one third good grade compost, and one third the soil from the digging.
For tropical to sub-tropical areas. Street or shade tree. Ornamental planting. Line driveways. Good cut flower for vases or bowls.
- The plant is used in dropsy, pain, rheumatism, thigh swelling, convulsion.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items for gardening
Recommended Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.