Fishbone Cactus - Plant
Common name: fish bone cactus, rick rack cactus, zig-zag cactus
Bloom time: Mid Spring.
Height: 13 or 15cm
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
The trailing stems offer an interesting feature for the home landscape. Choose a basket or unglazed pot for the cactus to enhance evaporation and prevent the plant from getting too wet. You can do a hanging basket, tabletop display or terrarium installation. Either way, the fishbone cactus will enhance and entertain. Use gloves when handling the plant, since it has tiny fine hairs, which will stick into skin and cause discomfort.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 40 degrees F.
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Like most cacti, fishbone cactus houseplant does best when allowed to dry out between watering.
- During winter, cut watering in half and then reinstate when spring growth begins.
- Fertilize with a water-soluble cactus or orchid fertilizer in early spring.
- You can place your plant outside in spring and summer but do not forget to bring it in when temperatures cool.
- Best of all, the cactus will stand some neglect, so do not worry about it when you go on vacation.
It is commonly found in garden centers as Ric Rac cactus or sometimes orchid cactus. Rarely the plant will bloom with soft pink flowers that open at night and last only one day. Fishbone cactus houseplant enjoys similar growing conditions as its cousin, the orchid.
- Selenicereus anthonyanus is a cactus species native to southern Mexico.
- It is grown as an ornamental because of its beautiful nocturnal flowers and unusual stems.
no serious & insects disease problems.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.