Millingtonia hortensis - Plant
Common name: Indian Cork Tree
Bloom time: October to December.
Height: 18 and 25 metres
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
This fast growing tree flowers at night and sheds flowers early in the morning. The name Millingtonia comes from Thomas Millington, an English botanist, while hortensis means "grown in gardens". The tree is a favorite garden tree. It is also called the Cork Tree, as an inferior cork is processed from its corky bark.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Place plants in full sun in average, well-drained soil.
- Drainage is important; don t place where roots will sit in water.
- Leaves develop best flavor in full sun.
The tree is considered ornamental and the pleasant fragrance of the flowers renders it ideal as a garden tree. The wood is also used as timber and the bark is used as an inferior substitute for cork.
- Millingtonia hortensis Linn.
- is an important medicinal plant in southern Asia ranging from India, Burma, Thailand and South China.
- Commonly known as Cork tree.
- It is also called as Akash neem, Neem chameli.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use,
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.