Khaya Senegalensis - Plant
Common name: Swietenia senegalensis
Color: cream then pink
Bloom time: july august
Height: 9 m
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
African Mahogany is a majestic, tall tree, native to Africa. It is a tree with shining leaves, up to 100 ft tall, with wide dense crown and thick trunk. Leaves are compound, with leaflets usually drying pale glaucous green, 3-4 pairs, oblong or oblong-elliptic, more than twice as long as broad, rounded or blunt or sometimes pointed at the tip, 6-12 cm long, 2-5 cm broad. Flowers are normally have parts in fours
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 29 - 38°c
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- more than twice as long as broad, rounded or blunt or sometimes pointed at the tip, 6-12 cm long, 2-5 cm broad.
- Flowers are normally have parts in fours.
- Sepals are pale green, petals and staminal tube are cream colored, the latter pinkish below.
- Fruit is normally 4-valved, 4-6 cm in diameter.
Khaya senegalensis is a deciduous evergreen tree
- Khaya senegalensis (Desr.
- ) is a medicinal plant that is widely used to treat various diseases in Nigeria and other West Africa countries.
- It belongs to the family Meliaceae (mahogany family).
- The Nupes of Niger state of Nigeria especially value the tree for its medicinal uses
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.