Pokeberry - Plant
Common name: American spikenard
Color: green to white
Bloom time: frost
Height: 3 to 8ft. tall
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Plant the seeds 1 inch apart in the potting mix, with a thin layer of soil over them. Cover the container with a plastic bag. Set the container in a bright location out of direct sunlight and keep the soil above 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 60 degrees F.
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Cut the leaves off of the bottom 2 inches of stem, dip the bottom of the stem into rooting hormone, and plant it in the container.
- Cut the bottom out of a 2-liter pop bottle, and place it over the cuttings.
- Remove the bottle cap for air circulation.
- Place the container in a bright area out of direct sunlight, and keep it between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
There are few herbaceous plants that grow 5 to 7 feet tall that grows well in shade. Can be propagated from root cuttings. Best used as a specimen subject for its height and dark berries. Not a common subject and will generate questions from other gardeners that visit.
- Documented adverse effects.
- Avoid use.
- Uterine stimulant with toxic constituents; is reputed to affect menstrual cycle.
- Ingestion of poisonous parts of the plant may cause severe stomach cramping, nausea with persistent diarrhea and vomiting, slow and difficult breathing, weakness, spasms, hypotension, severe convulsions, and death.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.