Parthenium hysterophorus - Plant
Common name: Carrot Grass, Congress grass, Wild carrot weed
Bloom time: april
Height: 30-90 cm in height
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Parthenium hysterophorus is a species of flowering plant in the aster family, Asteraceae. It is native to the American tropics. Common names include Santa-Maria, Santa Maria feverfew, whitetop weed, famine weed, and congress weed. In India, it is locally known as carrot grass, congress grass or Gajar Ghans.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Parthenium hysterophorus is a species of flowering plant in the aster family, Asteraceae.
- It is native to the American tropics.
- Common names include Santa-Maria, Santa Maria feverfew, whitetop weed, famine weed, and congress weed.
- In India, it is locally known as carrot grass, congress grass or Gajar Ghans.
Each flower produces 4-5 black wedgeshaped seeds that are 2 mm long with thin white scales. It is considered a highly invasive weed. Its large and persistent soil seedbank, fast germination rate and ability to undergo dormancy make it well adapted to semi-arid environments. It also releases chemicals that inhibit the germination and growth of pasture grasses and other plants.
- Regular contact with the plant, usually over a prolonged period, produces allergenic dermatitis and asthma in humans.
- Parthenium hysterophorus used in many medicinal treatments of skin inflammation, rheumatic pain, diarrhoea, urinary tract infections, dysentery, malaria and neuralgia.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.