Lycopus virginicus - Plant
Common name: Bugleweed.
Bloom time: mid-summer
Height: 10 to 20 inches
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
-Though a Labiate, it does not actually belong to the same genus as the British Bugles, but has certain points in common. From the perennial, creeping root, the quadrangular, smooth stem rises to a height of from 6 to 24 inches, bearing pairs of opposite leaves on short stalks, those on the upper part being toothed and lance-shaped, the lower ones wedge-shaped and with entire margins.
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 0.01 oC
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Deadhead to prolong flowering.
- Maintain moderate soil moisture and fertilize lightly.
- plant will die with the first frost.
The whole herb is used. It is slightly aromatic, with a mint-like odour and is used, fresh, when in flower, for the preparation of a tincture and a fluid extract, until recent years official in the United States Pharmacopoeia. It is also used dried for making an infusion.
- Sedative, astringent and mildly narcotic.
- Used in coughs, bleeding from the lungs and consumption.
- The infusion made from 1 OZ.
- of the dried herb to 1 pint of boiling water is taken in wineglassful doses, frequently, the fluid extract in doses of 10 to 30 drops, and the dry extract, Lycopin, in doses of 1 to 4 grains.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.