Lactuca scariola - Plant
Common name: Lactuca serriola
Color: grey green
Bloom time: July - September
Height: 2 to 6 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
This is a weed throughout temperate regions. It can hwoever be harvested and eaten, although it is somewhat bitter. Enjoys a full sun / partial sun position in your garden. Keep in mind when planting that Prickly Lettuce is thought of as hardy, so this plant will survive close to or on freezing temperatures.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Start with pruning shears for smaller growth.
- Use loppers, which look like giant, long-handle shears, for growth that is more than half an inch thick.
- A small pruning saw is handy, as it cuts on both the push and the pull.
Prefers a light sandy loam in a sunny position. The wild lettuce is cultivated for the oil in its seed in Egypt. A compass plant, the top leaves align north-south.
- The plant should be used with caution, and never without the supervision of a skilled practitioner.
- Even normal doses can cause drowsiness whilst excess causes restlessness and overdoses can cause death through cardiac paralysis.
- The fixed oil from the seeds is said to possess antipyretic and hypnotic properties.
- A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant.
- It is used in the treatment of chronic catarrh, coughs, swollen liver, flatulence and ailments of the urinary tract
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.