Golden groundsel - Plant
Common name: Packera obovata
Color: Golden yellow flower
Bloom time: April to June
Height: 1.00 to 1.50 feet 1.00 to 1.50 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
When growing Goldenray and other Ligularia outdoors from seeds they can be sown on the soil surface in either autumn or before the last frost of spring. They prefer to grow in sunny areas of the garden but are able to tolerate shady conditions. The soil that Ligularia grows in should be moist.
When first growing Ligularia seedlings indoors then they should be prepared about one and a half months before due in the garden in the spring.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Water: Medium to wet
Temprature: 55 to 65°F
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Ligularia are fairly easy to look after, requiring regular water to maintain moist soil and a fertilizer applied in spring and summer.
- After flowering has finished cut back the stalks.
At the end of the growing season in autumn cut Ligularia plants to ground level.
- To maintain vigorous growth it is best to divide Ligularia every three years in the springtime
Vigorous spring wildflower for sunny or shady areas of the landscape. Large naturalized plantings in woodland gardens can be spectacular in bloom.
- Diaphoretic, antiscorbutic, purgative, diuretic, anthelmintic.
- It was formerly much used for poultices and reckoned good for sickness of the stomach.
- A weak infusion of the plant is now sometimes given as a simple and easy purgative, and a strong infusion as an emetic: it causes no irritation or pain, removes bilious trouble and is a great cooler, or as Culpepper puts it:
The whole herb, collected in May, when the leaves are in the best condition and dried.
- The fresh plant is also used for the expression of the juice.
- Golden groundsel, Roundleaf groundsel, Roundleaf ragwort, Squawweed .
- Use Ornamental: A good herb-layer groundcover for limestone woodlands in .
No serious insect or disease problems.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.