Elecampane - Plant
Common name: Inula helenium
Bloom time: July to September
Height: 3.00 to 6.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Seeds of Elecampane and other Inula species can be planted either at the beginning of autumn or before the last frost of spring; once sown the sees should be lightly covered with soil. Elecampane and other Inula like to grow in sunny areas of the garden that have good drainage, the soil type is not to important.
If you first plan to grow Elecampane seedlings indoors then they should be prepared about 7 or 8 weeks before the last frost of spring. The seeds will take anything from two to six weeks to germinate at 12 to 18 degrees centigrade.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 55 to 65°F
Fertilizer: apply any organic fertilizer
- To create more Inula plants they can be divided in the spring or autumn.
- It is easy to look after Inula, simply keep the soil moist and cut back the stems after flowering has finished in the autumn.
- It is necessary to dvide the plants every three years or so to maintain vigor.
The absence of well-marked radiate structure in the wood.
- The plant is disinfectant.
- It is also considered to be poisonous.
- The root has been used to adulterate the roots of Saussurea lappa.
- It contains 3% of an alkaloid that produces a fall in blood pressure and stimulates tone and peristaltic movements in the intestines.
- The herb is also a hard working multipurpose herb.
- It s lovely yellow flowers are reminiscent of the wild sunflower.
- A perennial herb, elecampane grows in zone 4-9.
- Hardy and forgiving, it grows anywhere from full sun to partial shade.
- Often found near woods, elecampane can withstand dry soil, but thrives in nice, damp ground.
- If you are looking for a plant for the ornamental or herbal healing garden, this is the specimen for you! It is hard to kill and certainly unusual enough to be a showpiece for any garden design
please consult appropriate doctor / physian befor use.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=277211&isprofile=0& http://www.gardenershq.com/Inula-Elecampane.php http://www.flowersofindia.net/
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.