Dioscorea villosa - Plant
( 0 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
-High Quality 8 inch Plastic Pot with each plant.
-Offer Valid on orders with 3 or more Plants
Common name: white yam
Bloom time: Seasonal bloomer
Height: 1.00 to 2.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
I first encountered wild yam on a walk around what became the North American Native Plant Society nature reserve, the Shining Tree Woods, in autumn 12 years ago. Next spring that vine had many seeds, and I received permission to take a few.
The seed of wild yam will germinate readily. When you start your plants, you will find that within a few years they will spread by both a more robust root system (which is like five-millimetre or two-tenths of an inch-thick pasta, interconnected versus discrete, and a dark reddish colour) and new shoots from these roots, or by seeds being dispersed by wind and creatures.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- collect seed from the vines in late fall or anytime in winter
separate the seed from the seed capsules
in a plot in the garden, clear away any plants there now, and loosen the soil:
the plot will need a few hours of sun during the spring season mark the garden plot! scatter the seed on the bare ground, cover with a sprinkling of garden soil and some leaf litter:
It is suggested that Dioscorea be limited to pot culture.
- Native Americans and early herbalist had many uses for this plant including the treatment of many female and childbirth related problems.
- It was also used to treat various gastrointestinal problems, muscle spasms, various painful conditions such as arthritis and rheumatism.
There seems to be no scientific evidence of its effectiveness for these conditions.
- Nonetheless, plants of this genus are valuable to modern medicine.
- Many of our modern steroids are manufactured from diosgenin extracted from them.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
http://www.nanps.org/index.php/gardening/native-plants-to-know/122-dioscorea-villosa-wild-yam-5-4 http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b139 http://www.flowersofindia.net/risearch/search.php?query=Dioscorea+villosa&stpos=0&stype=AND
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.