Asclepias tuberosa - Plant
Common name: butterfly weed
Bloom time: June to August
Height: 1.00 to 2.50 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Sow directly in fall– November is a good option for most regions. Start seeds indoors 2 months before final frost- refrigerator cold stratification required.
Spring Sow seeds directly after final frost- don t forget to stratify first. Divide your butterfly weed.
Sunlight: Full sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Water: Dry to medium
Temprature: 40 °C or -40 °F)
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Grows well in sandy, well-draining soils Fertilize with organic slow-release fertilizer This can be a difficult choice in the wrong spot.
- However, it also can take awhile to get going.
- Give it 3 years to prove it’s worthy for your garden
Since tuberosa can be temperamental about growing conditions, try planting in a couple different spots to see where it grows best.
- Transplant milkweed in early spring or fall for a higher survival rate
Butterfly gardens, meadows, prairies, or naturalized/native plant areas. Also effective in sunny borders.
- Harvest root in fall and dry for later herb use.
- The root is medicinal, it is antispasmodic, carminative, mildly cathartic, diaphoretic, diuretic, expectorant, tonic and vasodilator.
- Butterfly Weed Root is used internally in the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, chronic rheumatism, and as an expectorant.
- Butterfly weed makes a delightful cut flower.
- Strong color, Blooms ornamental, Showy, Long-living, Perennial garden.
:for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor / physian befor use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.