Abelmoschus moschatus - Plant
The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Insects.Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and prefers well-drained soil. Suitable pH: acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It cannot grow in the shade. It prefers moist soil.
Common name: Okra,Abelmosk,Ambrette seeds,Annual hibiscus,Bamia Moschata,Galu Gasturi
Color: pink, orange-red and red often with white centers.
Bloom time: June to frost
Height: 1.50 to 2.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Easily grown in moist, moderately fertile, well-drained soils in full sun. Best flowering is in full sun. Thrives in hot summer climates. Start seed indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date or purchase nursery plants. When grown from seed, flowers usually don’t appear until approximately 3 months after sowing.
Set out plants after last frost date. Seed may be harvested from garden plants for planting the following year.
Sunlight: Full sun
Soil: well-drained soils in full sun
Temprature: 24 - 24°c
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Seed sow April in a greenhouse.
- The seed germinates best at a temperature around 24 - 24°c.
- When large enough to handle, prick out the seedlings into individual pots of rich soil and plant them out after the last expected frosts[K].
- The seed can also be sown in situ in late April in areas with warm summers.
- Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July in a frame.
It is used as a food flavouring and in perfumery as a musk substitute
- An emulsion made from the seed is antispasmodic and is especially effective in the digestive system[4, 238].
- The seeds are also chewed as a nervine, stomachic and to sweeten the breath.
- They are also said to be aphrodisiac[4, 238].
- The seeds are valued medicinally for their diuretic, demulcent and stomachic properties.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor / physian befor use.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.