Melastoma decemfidum - Plant
Common name: Malabar Melastome, Indian-rhododendron
Bloom time: May to June
Height: 2.00 to 3.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Plants do not thrive in Zones 9 to 10 without a period of refrigeration; they need a cold, dormant period. Select a site with soil that drains well. How can you tell? After a good rain, find a spot that is the first to dry out. Water trapped beneath the scales may rot the bulb, so a well-drained site is essential.
Sunlight: Part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Diligently water your plants.
- Soak the entire root zone at least twice a week in dry summer weather.
- Avoid frequent shallow sprinklings, which wonâ€™t reach the deeper roots and may encourage fungus.
- Plants do best with 90 inches of rain per year, so unless you live in a rain forest, water regularly.
Where winter hardy, grow in mass, in groups or as specimens in shrub borders, mixed borders, woodland gardens and shade gardens. In St. Louis, site this shrub in protected locations, including along walls and foundations that face south.
- In Tahiti, M.
- malabathricum is used to treat diarrhea and dysentery with its bark decoction used as gargle .
- The Naga tribe of Manipur district, India, used the fresh and dry leaves of M.
- malabathricum to treat cuts and wounds, stomach disorder, and fever .
- Dec 28, 2011
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.