Cortaderia selloana - Plant
Common name: pampas grass
Color: Silver white
Bloom time: August to February
Height: 8.00 to 12.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
If you want to try it, check with your local extension service office or visit the USDA website to make sure it s allowed in your area. Pampas grass likes full sun for at least six hours a day and grows best in well-drained soil. If you re planting a hedge, space the plants six feet apart.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Water: Dry to medium
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Once established, pampas grass care is minimal, requiring little maintenance other than watering in extreme drought.
- It should also be pruned each year to the ground.
- This is usually performed in late winter or early spring.
- Because of the plantâ€™s sharp foliage, the task of pruning should be done with great care using gloves and a long-sleeved shirt.
However, with appropriate measures taken (for clumps well away from homes and buildings), you can also burn the foliage down to the green growth without any harm to the plant.
- While not required, pampas grass can be given a balanced fertilizer following pruning to help stimulate regrowth.
Where winter hardy, this is a large ornamental grass for large landscapes. Excellent specimen. Background plant for borders. Screen. Plumes may be cut and dried for use in indoor flower arrangements. Best grown in containers in the St. Louis area.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems.
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.