Buddleia, Butterfly Bush - Plant
Common name: Butterfly bush.
Bloom time: Early Summer to Mid Autumn.
Height: 6-8 feet.
Difficulty level: Easy.
Planting & Care
Plant in late spring, once the soil has had a chance to warm up. If grown in a container and fairly robust then you can leave planting to as late as August. Loosen the soil, mix in compost, and dig a hole twice the diameter of the plant container. When placing the plant in the hole, the top of the rootball should be level with the soil surface. Space plants 5 to 10 feet apart, depending on the variety.
Sunlight: Sun to Full Sun
Soil: Mostly Sand to Some Clay. pH range 5.5 to 6.5
Water: Semi-Arid to Moist.
Temprature: Being killed by temperatures below about −15 to −20 °C (5 to −4 °F).
Fertilizer: Feeding is best done in the spring straight after pruning. Although they can grow with minimal nutrients, they need additional feeding to produce the best flowers . A general purpose high potash (potassium) feed is best. With NPK (nitrogen, phosphate and potassium) in the best ratio for woody shrubs (NPK 5.3 - 7.5 - 10.0).
- Buddlejas need savage pruning, especially the taller varieties.
- But care must be taken to do this in late-spring when the hardest weather is over.
- Prune them in autumn and they can die.
- If you’re dealing with an overgrown buddleja take one half down in one year (in March) and the second half in the following year (again in March).
- Each spring, apply a thin layer of compost and mulch to retain moisture and control weeds.
- Butterfly bushes are also utilized in traditional Korean medicine which uses its flower buds to treat people with inflammatory conditions and headache.
- Those are a lot of benefits from one shrub-like plant.
- it almost seems like nature designed this plant especially for butterflies.
- Not only is Butterfly Bush full of delicious nectar that butterflies love to feed on for a long duration, it also has a wonderful honey-like fragrance that attracts butterflies in large numbers.
http://www.buddleia.net/medicinal-buddleia http://www.almanac.com/plant/butterfly-bush http://www.saga.co.uk/lifestyle/gardening/plant-portrait/how-to-grow-buddleja-plants.aspx
You may also need below items with plants
Recommended Planters : Rotomolded Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.