Eschscholzia Californian Poppy - Seeds
Poppy plant is a native of Asia. Poppy seeds are founded in poppy heads. They are recommended in many prescriptions for tonics. The plant is endowed with roots of strong fragrance. It is an erect ,annual herb with smooth surface and latex in all parts. The sap of the plant contains oxalic acid and opium which has 25 , the chief being morphine, codeine, thelaine, narcotine, narceine and papaverine.
Properties :- Poppy seeds are effective in thirst, fever, inflammation and irritation of the stomach. The root is employed as one of the ingredients in several cooling medicines. The essence of the root is used as tonic because of its stimulating qualities. It is an easy to make home remedy for dysentery. About quarter teaspoon of the powder of poppy seeds are sauted to a golden brown in honey. It is taken twice daily to relief from the symptoms. Poppy seeds ground to paste with lime juice are effective when rubbed on the areas effected by dry itch
Common name: California poppy, Californian poppy, golden poppy, California sunlight, cup of gold.
Color: red,orange, yellow, white, pink
Bloom time: early summer, mid-summer, late summer early fall mid-fall.
Height: Height: 0.5 to 1 feet
Spread: 0.5 to 0.8 feet
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Direct seeding is preferable, as poppies do not like to have their roots disturbed. Sow in early spring when the soil is still cool and light frost is possible. May also be sown in the fall just before the ground freezes. Seeds will germinate in 10-15 days.
Poppy plants are not heavy feeders. Too much fertilizer will cause plants to produce excessive leaf growth at the expense of flower production.
Remove the spent blossoms, or use them as cuttings in flower arrangements, to extend the flowering season. Make sure to leave some faded flowers on the plants, especially later in the year, as poppies are self-seeding year to year.
Sunlight: full sun
Soil: tolerates droughty soil, requires well-drained soil, requires high fertility.
Water: Avoid overhead watering whenever possible.
Fertilizer: Poppies do better without too much fertilization, which can hurt the plant. With too much fertilizer, the poppy flowers won t grow. Poppies are used to soil without a lot of fertilizer, so soil with too much fertilizer will be a shock to their system.
- Propagate by seed - This plant does not transplant well and should be grown from seeds scattered outdoors in the spring when the soil becomes workable.
- Scatter the seeds where the plants are desired for summer bloom.
- This plant may seem like it is a perennial, coming back in the same place every year due to self-seeding.
- However, self-seeding may not produce plants identical to the initial planted variety.
- Germination temperature: 55 F to 60 FDays to emergence: 7 to 14
- Poppy Plant CarePoppy plants are generally easy to take care of and are great plants to have because they are simple to grow, low maintenance, and are absolutely beautiful.
- Of course, if you don t know the general rules for caring for poppy flowers, your poppies may be doomed.
- Here are some things to keep in mind when caring for them to ensure proper health and maintain their beauty.
- Make Sure There Is Sun Poppies need a full day s worth of sun each day, and if they can t get a full day s worth of sun, try to supplement natural light with artificial light.
- Sun will be important to their growth because they can t grow without enough sun.
- Give Them Room You don t want to bunch your poppies together, which will hinder growth and possibly hurt your flowers.
- Since they grow fairly tall, spread them a couple of feet apart so they have enough space to grow and don t feel crowded.
- Proper Drainage Poppies use a lot of water, but absolutely hate being overwatered.
- Soil that is overwatered may cause poppies to drown or may cause mold to grow on their roots.
- Maintain proper drainage by using soil that s been aerated, or soil that s rich with earthworms that can help in creating drainage.
- Keep Them Warm Like many delicate and beautiful plants, poppies cannot handle the cold, so control their temperature as much as possible, which includes bringing them indoors during the winter times because snow and freezing temperatures will be very unkind to your poppies.
- Use Mulch To keep soil moist and to protect it from too much heat, add mulch.
- Moist soil is perfect for poppy flowers that love water.
- Mulch also helps prevent bad weeds from growing, which can damage your poppy flowers and are an incredible pain to get rid of as a gardener.
- Medicinal uses of poppy seeds:
About 30 gms of milk extracted from the poppy seeds mixed with sugar can be used for treating insomnia.
- A teaspoon of poppy seeds oil taken every night is also very effective.
Poppy seeds are used as a home remedy for dysentery.
- About quarter teaspoon of the powder of poppy seeds are sauted to a golden browen in honey.
- Taken twice a day, it gives relief from the symptoms.
- As these seeds have a sedative effect, they should not be taken for more than three days continuously.
The poppy plant has many uses as external remedy.
- A paste of the root rubbed on the skin can remove burning sensation of the body.
- A paste of its pulverized rots in water can be used as a cooling agent, It finds use in external application in fevers.
Poppy seeds contain Linoleic acid that is beneficial in preventing heart disorders and abdomen conditions.
Poppy seeds act as a supply of your daily dose of minerals like iodine, manganese, zinc, magnesium and copper.
You may also need below items for gardening
Recommended Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.